Saturday, February 28, 2009

Jatayu and Siddhartha

When I came to know the story of Buddha in high school, I was surprised that he was a person who was never exposed to life's hardships and pain. My first lesson on sacrifice was from Ramayana. Jatayu is my favourite character. I loved the fact that the bird was brave and fought the much feared demon king Ravana. Did everything to his best of abilities to stop him from taking away Sita. Not afraid to sacrifice his own life to protect the divine lady.

I want to visit Lepakshi, where I believe Rama saw the wounded bird who helped trace his wife in the southern side. Ramayana is filled with such inspiring characters.. the squirrel who helped Rama in building the bridge, the bear who helped devise the war strategy, the monkey who helped in saving Rama's brother life. I can go on and on. Valmiki was a great writer and my mom a great story teller.

Wonder if Siddhartha's mom read him the Ramayana...

No comments: