Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mom

My mom was a great story teller and an excellent singer. Unlike the typical stories that are told to kids (as seen in movies) my mom introduced us to fantasy land through the English books she had read as a kid. One of the initial stories I remember is Robinhood and his merry men. I also remember Robinson Cruso. She also told some of her favourites from Hollywood like Macanas Gold.

Unlike me, my mom never told stories during bed time, but they were during dinner time. As she narrated stories from Indian Mythology, Hollywood and from English classics I was lost in my fantasy world with mouth wide open and my tongue sticking out a bit. My sister would point my open mouth and I would be embarrassed.

My sister inherited the knack of story telling from my mom. During her visits from semester holidays the dinner time would mean us laughing till we cried with all the funny stuff she had tell from her hostel gossip. I really miss those good ol' days.

I would give anything to get back the family together. My mom serving 'kai thuththu' to three of us, the yummy saranna and wonderful stories and the sister narrating her rib tickling stories.
hmmm...is it too much to ask?

1 comment:

bhuvana said...

Lucky you - i wonder how it would be to have a REAL sister - I have been fortunate and blessed to have many sisters/friends though.

regards
r1