Friday, November 21, 2008

Religion - A belief


During my childhood days, visits to temple were far and few. We had a small அரசமரதடி பிள்ளையார் ( ganesha under the peepal tree ) next to our house. There were lot of stories as to who put up the idol there, with claims between my family and our neighbor. There were no priest and no daily rituals. So the interaction between me and God was very personal. No brokers in between. So my prayers were either at home in the Pooja room or under the peepal tree.

Ofcourse studying in convent had its own effect and my mind was constantly looking out for help during the trying exam times from the single Christian God and the umpteen Hindu gods. Slowly God meant something that neither religion portrayed. I do, do my daily pooja at home and once in a blue moon visit temples but my relationship with God has remained the same.

When I go to our Mutt I find the customs amusing. Men not to wear shirts and ofcourse ladies cant enter temple during ....while what ever a religion may preach, at the end of the day I guess Religion is a belief and God lives within us. If we pause & listen to him/her we can lead a life with less vanity.

No comments: