Friday, October 3, 2008

Where is the void?

As a kid living in a remote village meant very few guests. In a year we would just get one or two visitors. Every time when someone visits us lot of prep would happen, we would get our behaviour trainings, dos and donts in advance, just like a client visiting the project team ! I would look forward to the gifts I may be getting and also we would get to stay awake late as there will be lot of catching up happening. Unfortunately, all visitors were the grown ups and no kids!! But still having a gust was always special and I loved it. One thing that I hated was when the guest would leave. It always meant a great void in my heart! Especially when our uncle would visit us from Chittoor.

Now, living in the city means better accessibility. But, being a working couple meant we cant be reached on working days! Getting a guest now also means a lot of prep. Ensuring that all groceries are stocked. Fragile items are removed from kids reach. Telling the cook in advance, so we can have sufficient food in time. Buying right gifts etc etc.

One thing that I miss is the void I used to feel as a kid when the guests leave. Now I have no time to even think of how well the stay went. i have to hop on to my next to do...Wonder if it was same for my parents?

1 comment:

bhuvana said...

Probably something I inherited from my mom - to utter a sigh of relief and think that the visit was successful and the guest happy :-)

Bhuvana