Thursday, October 23, 2008

Back to Basics

The quick (1 day) trip to the village was great. For 24 hours I went to a different world. Were I could travel 25 Kms for six rupees, watching 80s tamil hit videos. Buy quality cotton materials at < 50 % of the selling price, in bangalore. ( I have seen the same material in Lifestyle for a lot more price tag) And a loving family who cooked a festive lunch to make me comfortable for the mere six hours I stayed at their house. No wonder my granny loves them more than us ;).

Simple people simple life. Is it necessary to complicate lives? I know without the current progress esp in medical field life will be more painful for people like my granny. But, at the same time I do miss the simple unadulterated, affectionate, hardworking lifestyle that my uncle and family has. I know life is not rosy for them. But they are so affectionate, I wonder why we are not so? Is it having 3 girl kids taught my uncle to be more loving ? The knowledge that soon all of them will be married and gone makes him more caring? I donno, whatever the reason is, smiling and helping others all the time has definitely earned him lot more well wishers than us.

When I started the trip I had enough to crib about. My granny's stubbornness. Lack of good wheel chair facility at Station. Late arrival of trains. Midnight journeys etc etc. But all that got wiped off after spending the brief time at the village. Sadly I am back to my moody self. Hope I can find strength to deal my life better after this short, but more meaningful trip.

No comments: