Monday, September 29, 2008

Perceptions - Window to our world

On Friday we had a party, I had to leave early from the party. So I decided to catch up on whatever I had missed. I called 3 different people, and got three different views on the same set of happenings. I was sure if I had stayed back, I would have had my own view on what happened at the party. This triggered my thoughts in the direction of what perceptions are all about. Someone had asked me if Perception Management can be taught. Since I knew all 3 persons with whom I spoke, I could filter the information and make my own conclusions, which of course is my perception. Well ,if I had not known them, I would have used some experience from past to make my own conclusion.

So, is it possible to teach Perception Management? We can only act based on our experience or well known experience. I guess Perception Management will be based on the most well known experiences and cultural know-hows. Will that be sufficient in managing all stake holder perceptions at work place? This is going to be my next pet subject to research on :).

No comments: