Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The story of a 25 paise coin



Little Aadi had a science project. He went to the nearby kirana shop and got some Raggi seeds. Picked up an empty Srikand cup and filled it with mud to plant the seeds. As he gathered mud he discovered an unrecognisable coin. He put it aside as if it was some junk and went on to complete his science project. Watered his Raggi seeds and left it in the balcony so that nature can take care of rest.

His mom picked up the strange looking piece this morning and cleaned it with some water and soap and found it to be a 25p coin minted in 1988. 20 years of life only to end up in the mud with no one to bother.

She was wondering what is the story of this one?

TWENTY years back I came out shining and proud along with my brothers & sisters from the mints of RBI. I was all set to be part of the great Indian economy. Soon I realised there were shinier cousins made from steel and many were fascinated by. But I was still proud to be part of the growing Indian Economy.

I started changing hands from the Bank into the common mans hand. I went on several bus rides. Saw new pair of hands at the pan shops. Kids used me to buy mints, chalks and other fancy stuff. Soon I lost count on how many hands I changed but I kept rolling. Once in a while I ended up in a house wife change box or a kids piggy bank, where I met my siblings and cousins and shared interesting stories we had. How we had I had jumped off once to see world on my own, but a pair of hands soon grabbed me. I heard amazing stories from each one of them.

Once in a while I also met the biggies like 10 rupees and 20 rupees. The best was when I landed in the Tirupati Hundi. I met the humble 5 paise coin there and also the great Don - 1000 rupees note. I wonder how it feels to be made of paper where you cannot role.

Then one day to my shock a pair of hands refused to take me. This kept repeating several times in matter of few weeks and after that I ended in another small Hundi. Soon i heard similar stories from all my cousins and also from my big brother 50 paise coin. I saw that we had not moved many hands unlike before.

I decided this was the best time to see world on my own and jumped out. No one chased me this time. After rolling for some time I was tired and I decided to sleep. I kept seeing darkness for a long time and I waiting patiently for many many days.

Yesterday a kid picked me and woke me from my looonnnng slumber. And a lady even clicked a few photos. Guess I am becoming all important again :)))).

2 comments:

bhuvana said...

brilliant !!! seeing the old fire again :-)

by the way i met this person you enquired after and it went very well - will update you once i am back.

Also called appa (probably during his office times) not picking up his mobile. Will have to try later in the evening again.

r1

Latha said...

All ears...awaiting your return. A lunch / dinner will be gr8 for all the gossip.