Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Jeya Vijaya - Some facts that I din't know

Our year end vacation involved many temples and I was trying to give aadi more info on Indian Mythology. I forgot the names of gate keepers at Vaikuntum when I was narrating the story of Hiranyakasipu. But, managed to tell aadi about their 3 births as Hiranyashaka & Hiranyakasipu, Ravan & Kumbakarna, Kamsa & Shishupala.

Later, when we visited the srirangapatnam temple I was showing the Majestic statues of the gatekeepers at the temple entrance and my Mom-in-law quickly helped me with the names Jeya & Vijaya.

I was googling on their name today to find the name of the sage who gave them the curse. Only then I realised I got the names wrong in the last birth. Per Amarchitra kata, the story goes like this:

"Jaya and Vijaya, the guards at Vishnu’s abode, were vain and rude and were cursed to be born thrice in the world of mortals. The contrite guards were subsequently permitted one concession : they would be killed in each of their separate births by one of the incarnations of Vishnu.

Thus, first they were born as Hiranyaksha and Hiranyakashipu, next as Ravana and Kumbhakarna and last as Shishupala and Dantavaktra.

While the first two pairs were leading characters in their times, Shishupala remains a minor character in the Mahabharata and Dantavaktra, almost a nonentity.

Shishupala for all his show of valour remains a man of straw. In fact his only distinction was that he died at the hands of Krishna. He is also remembered as the jilted suitor of Rukmini."

Thats intresting....BTW, I also came to know there are two types of vaikuntam Sri Vaikuntham Or karya Vaikuntham a replica of Sri Vaikuntham in the material world!!
http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/bhakti-list/130857-jaya-vijaya-episode.html

I am yet to get the right name(s) of the sage(s) who gave the curse to Jeya Vijaya. The wikipedia is not too clear http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaya-Vijaya

No comments: