Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Kanjus Makki Choos

That’s my new avatar. I think I am in a phase which is worse than the postnatal depression. I am currently allergic to spending (good for Mahesha).... Any spending which needs more than 2 digits shock me. High voltage hit me yesterday when I saw one small packet of popcorn is Rs.300. I cotton candy is Rs.320. If you like to wield a plastic sword you should shell about Rs.400.


Wow, the last time when I saw the high voltage was when I made my maiden trip to US in 1998. I carried a mental calculator, wherever I went all price tags were INSTANTLY multiplied by 40. A 25 cent chewing gum meant Rs.10. A dollor candy bar from the vending machine looked like Rs.40 overly priced candy bar. And a 8 dollar entrance to a movie ticket looked like Rs.320 movie ticket (This was pre multiplex era) and it was a big NO...I loved watching movies in the friendly neighbourhood Carmike where movies where a dollar (read Rs 40) or utmost dollar and half on weekends (read Rs. 60)....This is something I want call as maiden voyage syndrome. Every software engineer knows that it vanishes from the second trip onwards. In fact it gets converted into retail therapy.


So why am I getting to see this flashback in Bangalore after 10 years. History repeating in my own backyard....well it was this friangee magic show which I got lured due to the Brand name. Little did I realise that the magic show was more stunning outside the venue..


Parent’s purses soon became light and started levitating. Like magic lot of fancy (junk) stuff filled the kids hands. Indeed its one magic show which my son enjoyed both inside and outside the venue. I was such a Kanjoos, in spite of getting free passes, thanks to Diya's mom, I tried to hide my purse - but the magic wand found.


All the stuff were sold in $$ prices. What a way to take back all the money that came from Uncle Sam. It also made me realise what it means to have a single person earning in a family. It also shows how poorly we market PC sarkar and other great shows we have..... We have a long way to go...I have a long way to go before I will shed my latest avatar.
Diya's mom is not helping me :(.

5 comments:

Rita Parikh said...

Great Write up sweety... after this article Diya's dad is a fan of your authoring skills :)

ranjani.sathish said...

Hi nimms !

1)The blog name is beautiful, especially with the explanation that you have given.

2)Great writing ..checked all your posts..so all the creative juices seem to be flowing out !!

3)I am happy that you are getting lot of time now to pursue your interests .

will mail u soon

Latha said...

Hey Ranjani,
1 & 2 was lovely complement...3 I remember that conversation very well. How can I forget. There are two people who have inspired me and both have given great feedback here.

Would love to meet up soon. Lets plan.

sathish said...

Nirmalatha,

kanjoos! - should I spill the beans on the amount of money we spent going for movies? (that too in between office hours!!)

or probably it was only me.. visiting the irvine center every weekend.. :)

:)

Latha said...

Hey .. That was my retail therapy...I also remember the furniture bit...and the long walk to buy some bedding..good ol' days :).

BTW, i still remmeber all the yummy break fast and dinner you had cooked ... Is your cooking skills still alive?