Thursday, January 24, 2008

What’s in a name?

My creative side of brain doesn’t work when I have to name something. Don’t ask me if my brain works at all, even if it does at times, its hardly creative. I was telling Rita today that being a second born I am excellent at copying and zero in originality. Originality overwhelms me. It took me several weeks to name my son…I zeroed in on the name as his naming ceremony was scheduled next day. When his pediatrician finally heard his name (it was difficult to be called as b/o so and so all the time), he asked me why I took 3 months to decide on such a simple name :-(.

Unlike many families I dint have any pressure from my parents or in-laws on the name to be selected, and he was the first grandson in the family…So again originality overwhelmed & I called him Aditya. Every class has two Aditya and two Sidharth. That was the statistics from the pediatrician. The only criteria I had was a name starting with A. Of course, Aprameya was another name I had in my mind but donno why I zeroed in on Aditya. I call him Aadi, meaning first…(not half). All my decisions are made by keeping him first in my mind.

I remember I had to name my group in many team building exercises and I always drew blank. Women are supposed to be the creative lot…but names, a tough subject. I have a very unique name (though people call me Latha). I am sure impressed with my Mom’s creativity. My parents name is also something that amazes me. My Mom is Padma Rao and Dad is Padmanabha Rao. Cool isn’t it.

So, why am I fussing so much about names. Well I thought I was brilliant in naming my blog as Jasmine Summer. I was so excited about having my own blog and all that stuff. I called my friends and family to check if they checked my BLOG. I just heard them saying yeah…we are waiting for your post some stuff; there is nothing but a brief on the blog name.

Well, I wanted a shower of praise on how innovative I was with my blog name. r1 as usual was the encouraging soul who knew my plight about names…she told it was a great name.

Well what’s in a name???

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Relaxing, nostalgic, refreshing blog name...
Draws you in to read more. Two thumbs up.

Uma said...

Very nice and beautiful blog name just like a Jasmine flower- Fragrant,cool and refreshing. Also the colour of Jasmine (white) refers to PURITY like your name NIRMALATHA :-)

About leaving the job, your summer is gone and lovely spring ahead!! This is the "AADI" for your future adventures!! Good Luck.