Monday, January 28, 2008

Challenges of a wanna be chef

Cooking is definitely not my forte. But, when I decided to be a full time mom along with it I have got an additional responsibility, to cook “interesting” food items for the family. The best part is both the father and son are very obliging to be the test subjects.

Unfortunately, I have no confidence in myself and the seven cups that I did this weekend stands testimony. I donno if it is Barfi or Halwa, Aadi being a true fan of amma was ready to have more++.

As soon as my wedding got fixed my mom got me this lovely book on “Samayal”. I had been “trained” to cook bare minimum (Rice, Sambar, Rasam & Poriyal). But nothing beyond that. Idli was always with readymade batter available at foodworld. The only delicacy I had learnt before wedding was mysore pak. With my cooking skills rusting in the past 3 years, thanks to my cook, I am scared to stand in front of the gas stove. I have decided to get a sanction letter from Mahesha to retain my cook. Else he will run the risk of having to eat outside food three times a day.

I get into these wonderful websites that have simple recipes. But the idli I made today can substitute the scud missiles of gulf war. Saradamma gave me perfect recipe for idli last Saturday…But still I am faaaaar away from getting decent idlies let alone malligai poo idli (Jasmine like idli).

R1 suggested I should rename myself as Sarada…Guess you will see me blogging as Sarada soon...

6 comments:

bhuvana said...

dear nlatha,

practice makes a person perfect. so dont yet give up. looking at history your past 2/3 generations have cooked well and stood the test of time and the family members. so go on and keep at the idies - then maybe one day i will start eating idlies !!!!

r1

Uma said...

Dear Sarada to be.. :-)

Hope you will prepare 'Jasmine like' idlies soon! Till that time pray god to give strength to the teeth of Mahesha & Aditya!! Mahesha will retain the cook definitely!!! :-)

Latha said...

Dear Uma, I hope god answers your prayers and aadi & mahesha get to eat Malligai poo idlies soon.

Unknown said...

I always thought you are a better cook than I ever was. Now, it looks like I have a chance of winning a contest with you. Sharpen your skills before my next visit or prepare for giving up the crown to me!

Uma said...

Hi,

Busy making Jasmine like idlies? no time to write? Go on.. Wish u all the success in this practical exam!! Let us give the result when we come there!!

Latha said...

Cooking is one topic that can never go out of fashion. I love competition..So dear Sis and SIL you are both welcome to compete with me as i am sure you will have to taste what I cook..so victory is mine ;) either way...